The Wedding continues (3)

Part 1: The Wedding
Part2: The Wedding: Card Distribution

After the card distribution, it was the business end of the marriage!

26th May was the day when we shifted to Narsingh Sevasadam where all pre-marriage functions were supposed to take place and where all guests were to stay for next 3days!

Day 1

On 26th, my parents woke me early (another day’s morning sleep sacrifised!) as we were supposed to reach narsingh sevasedan at around 9AM and that too with full preparation. The preparation includes a long list of items from toothpaste, shampoo, soap for each room set to supply of food grains, fruits, sweets for next 3-4days, from a wiper to a press, from mobile phone chargers to stereo system and from anything to everything! Luckily I only have to pack my own bag and for that too mom was there to help me.

My first task of the day was acting as coolie, loading-unloading all the materials from home to sevadan. While my home is at 3rd floor, our stay for the marriage was on 2nd floor!

We reached there on time and slowly other family member also started to arrive. But on Day 1, there were only close family members. For lunch there was buffet system with “self” service. But unfortunately here self is referred to as “bride’s brother”. Hence my second task was that of waiter and seriously it was the most difficult task. “Chappati lenge?”, “paani, abhi laya!”, ” haan, papad abhi aa rhe hai”, “arre baitho! main laata hun”, “kuch aur lenge?” And then you have to interact with cooks. “bhaiya chapaatiyaan jaldi laao!”, ” 2 plate dena”, “bhaiya glasses kaha hai?”, “bas karo bhaiya, abhi aur nhi chahiye chapati”. In short, you have to take care of both demand and supply!

There was also this babysitting task. But actually it was real fun. Playing with all my bhanjas, bhanjees, bhatijas and bhatijees. But after a while when their demand starts to grow, you have to leave them to the expert ie thier respective moms.

Of course, in all between this you have to continue acting as a peon also-bringing one thing from one place to another, fulfilling everybody’s demand and all such stuffs. Thankfully, I wasn’t assigned the cleaning job.

At around 8PM I discovered the most astonishing thing. For thousands of years scientist were trying to find a formula, but couldn’t. But that thing was achieved in front of my eyes at 8PM. At 8PM, more than 10 women were sitting together QUIETLY! yes you read it right! quietly! And for such an achievement the whole credit goes to…. BALIKA VADHU. (They must get a nobel PEACE prize for this!)

After a 30minutes silence, it was all back to normality. For dinner again I was turned into waiter. And then followed by the dinner there was some random dance program (known as raat-jaagi). This time my job was that of (no, not of a dancer, even sunny deol dances better than me) photographer. But this ‘technology’ again showed why it is the most unreliable thing in this world. I had a battery and also a back up battery for my digicam, but neither worked. I had to content with my not-so-good mobile camera. And then there was this music system which was not properly playing the mp3s and people had to rely mainly on their vocals.

By the end of the day, there was hardly any part of my body which was not paining. My shoulders, my back, my legs, my hands.. they were all having a headache.

Day 2

There is no better place to sleep than at you home, so even the sleep was not that refreshing. Though I still woke up at around 9:30 and got ready till 11 and by that time breakfast was almost done. During lunch there were some waiters to assist me (a big big big sigh of relief!). So from waiter, I was promoted to manager-cum-waiter and I could accompany most of my task just my issuing orders.

The post lunch was a lean period where I could have some rest. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, the world can’t bear the bride’s brother relaxing! This time it was my second sister. She sent me to arrange a cake for my bua whose birthday was incidentally on that day. The best part- as I reached the shop, she called me to not to bring the cake as bua’s daughters most probably would themselves be bringing the cake. Couldn’t you have thought of it earlier??!! So I returned empty handed.

In between all these, the marriage functions were going as schedule and so was my photography job (the digicam was finally working!). In the evening we all celebrated bua’s birthday with fufaji bringing everyone alive with his dance.

At 8PM again there was 30minutes silence. And then my job of manager-cum-waiter. Though the day was relatively peaceful in comparison with day1, but still it was enough to give you pains.

The wedding day

Again I woke up late and thanks to my unpressed jeans, I further got delayed in dressing up. There were some marriage programs in the morning, but after that there was no other work till the marriage in the evening. The day, unexpectedly, went quite peaceful. During the afternoon all I was watching this India-Zimbabwe match which India lost (Had I not been busy in marriage, you could bet there would have surely been a post on it!).

In the evening, we all got ready (there is an interesting story about my wedding dress, but I think its already too long, so lets just skip it!). The 40minutes journey to the wedding ground was also quite remember-able. With my two buas and my elder tiaji, I was squeezed in one corner on the car. I had no option but to listen to talks of my buas and elder taiji in which (with due respect to all my elders) snowfall is considered as the most evilish thing on the earth, chaand-taare is meant to be astronomy and air travel is the bravest thing to achieve in the world.

At around 8PM, I reached the wedding ground. <to be continued>

If you are still interested, The fourth and the final part of The Wedding would be coming soon!


Author: sarthakg

A terrible dancer, an abrasive singer and a Chartered Accountant, Sarthak Goyal has been penning his mind through the blog ‘Something. Nothing. Everything’ since 2009. In whatever little time he gets away from sleep, he works for his venture,

3 thoughts on “The Wedding continues (3)”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s